Version 3 - Very slow consoles from remote PCs

matt79 (3 posts)
March 25, 2009 10:55 AM
Accepted Answer

We have upgraded to of our adTempus servers to version 3.  We also installed the consoles on a few PCs that connect to the servers.  The consoles running from the PCs take a tremendous amount of time to launch and get to point where you can do anything inside the console, like 2-4 minutes.  These are new PCs with 4GB of RAM running XP with dual-core procs.  It's not resource-related.

When logged into the servers, the consoles run much better.  It's only when we connect our locally installed consoles to the servers for management that we experience terrible performance.  Please help.

Matt79

Bill Staff (599 posts)
March 25, 2009 01:41 PM
Accepted Answer

Since the performance is OK for the Console running on the server, the network is an obvious candidate for the problem. Do the PCs have a decent network connection to the server?

The Console is often a little slow to load, as it fetches a bunch of data from the server during startup and then caches it. Do you see reasonably performance moving around in the Console after this initial lag?

How many jobs do you have on the servers?

How many servers are you connecting to from the Consoles that are slow? If they're connected to more than one server, remove or disable (change the connection settings so they aren't connected on Console startup) all but one and see if that improves performance.

And finally, take a look at Task Manager while the Console is starting, and see what the CPU usage is for adtconsole.exe. Is it pegged really high?
matt79 (3 posts)
March 25, 2009 03:47 PM
Accepted Answer

The network connection is 100MB full duplex with only 1 switch in between.  The performance of the console was acceptable until we upgraded this server and remote consoles to version 3.

What types of data are being fetched?  If job historical information is being fetched, can we either limit the amount or truncate it so we don't get so much history?  Are there indexes set up in the SQL 2000 database or do we need to run maintenance jobs on it?

We have about 70 jobs on this server, but many of these jobs are not running most of the time.

Adtconsole does consume about 50% of the CPU for the first 10 seconds or so when the console launches, then it really doesn't do anything resource-wise until the jobs have been returned, which is minutes later.  

Hope this helps.  Thanks.

Matt

Bill Staff (599 posts)
March 25, 2009 03:58 PM
Accepted Answer

OK, not the network then.

The Console fetches and caches some data for job definitions, queues, and other top-level objects. It does not fetch the history until you start selecting jobs. The database is indexed.

You didn't answer how many servers your Console is connected to, but it sounds like just one. Is this correct?

Also, is performance OK once you are past the initial lag, or does it continue to be slow as you move between jobs?

matt79 (3 posts)
March 25, 2009 04:03 PM
Accepted Answer
I had it connected to 2, but removed the one that I don't really use much in troubleshooting.  In my console, the single server I have added comes up disconnected when I first launched the console (server icon is transparent).  I then have to wait a few minutes until I can even navigate the left pane headings (jobs, etc.).  Once all the jobs have been pulled up and I have selected at least one job to display, performance is much better but still slow.  The main problem is just how long it takes to get to that point.
Bill Staff (599 posts)
March 25, 2009 04:17 PM
Accepted Answer
Please open a support request so we can look into this in more detail.
trueter (21 posts)
April 11, 2013 07:25 AM
Accepted Answer

Hello,

I'm wondering if there was ever a resolution to this issue, as I am experiencing the same thing.  The console app is extremely slow (on the order of 20 seconds to open a job, open a script, etc).  This makes is almost unusable, especially when trying to edit script definitions directly through the console.  We are just starting to use AdTempus and have almost no jobs running at any given time.  Our ethernet link is gigabit.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

Bill Staff (599 posts)
April 11, 2013 08:19 AM
Accepted Answer

We made some changes subsequent to this discussion. Are you running the latest version (3.0.8.1) on the remote clients? Is this only a problem when you're connecting remotely (is the performance OK when you're running the Console on the same machine)?

It's strange that you're seeing the problem when you try to open a script. In the past most of the performance problems were occurring when you selected a job in the Console and adTempus went to fetch the history for the job. In cases where there was a lot of job history in the database, this was running slowly.

I can't think why there would be a problem when you're opening a script. Are you opening a shared script, or editing a script from within a job?

trueter (21 posts)
April 15, 2013 08:20 AM
Accepted Answer

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response!  On my remote client, the version info is:

Product Version: 3.0.8.1

Console Version: 3.0.0.1040

Client Components Version: adtempusdll: 3.0.8.4204, product: unknown

Server Version: adtempusdll: 3.0.8.4204, adtempussrv: 3.0.8.3521, product: 3.00.0800

When I run the console locally on the server machine I am still having performance issues, but not as bad. 

I am having the script editing problems on both machines.  For example, if I am editing a shared script, sometimes the UI will freeze in the middle of writing a line of code, and not respond for 20-30 seconds.  The performance problems seem to permeate all tasks (editing scripts, running jobs, editing jobs, duplicating jobs, etc).

Thanks,

Tim

Bill Staff (599 posts)
April 16, 2013 07:28 AM
Accepted Answer
Your description of having the Console freeze in the middle of editing a script reminded me of another case where this was happening. The problem there was that the Console was doing more data refreshes than it should have been doing, and sometimes wasn't doing them in the background like it is supposed to. Please try the current hotfix build, which includes Console changes we made that solved the problem for the other customer. You will need to update each computer where you're running the Console. Be sure to download the 32- or 64-bit version as appropriate.
trueter (21 posts)
April 16, 2013 09:40 AM
Accepted Answer
Thanks Bill I will give it a shot and let you know.
trueter (21 posts)
April 16, 2013 02:58 PM
Accepted Answer

Bill,

Unfortunately I installed the hotfix and it hasn't solved our performance problems.  If you have any ideas or need any additional information please let me know.

Thanks,
Tim

Bill Staff (599 posts)
April 17, 2013 08:39 AM
Accepted Answer
Those updates should cover all the problems we know about. You can submit a support request and we will look at it further.

Replies are disabled for this topic.