Example Job "Run Notepad" Will Not Run

BillMc (1 post)
December 30, 2022 01:31 PM
Accepted Answer

I am a new user of adTempus4. I am running adTempus on a new Windows 11 PC. I am a fairly knowledgeable PC user.

I have been trying to run the basic help example named "Run Notepad". I can create the job and run it in manual mode successfully. Adding a simple one-time schedule causes the job to fail when the schedule triggers. The failure codes are 107 and 5252. I have tried everything I know to do to get new software running and nothing helps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
December 30, 2022 02:20 PM
Accepted Answer

Are you actually running Notepad as the example does? This is a bad example that we should change in the documentation, because it is an interactive program and running interactive programs has gotten more complicated since that example was written long ago. But also I wouldn't expect Notepad to be returning a failure exit code. If it is Notepad, we need to know the details of the message adTempus is logging, including the exit code that Notepad is returning.

It would be better to substitute your own program (the one you're trying to automate), or for testing purposes a batch file that does something simple, like a directory listing.

If you are running some program other than Notepad, then you need to check the documentation for that program to determine the meaning for the exit code that it is returning (the exit code is reported in the messages in the adTempus log). See this article for information on how to troubleshoot errors from scheduled programs.