Email Triggers are handy, but...

Jim G. (7 posts)
March 28, 2022 04:00 PM
Accepted Answer

Hi.

My company has many jobs that are triggered by email. However, we typically encounter two problems when we add a new job that is triggered by email.

1. The new job's trigger will process emails in the past.
    1. I know that I can write a script to selectively ignore emails from the past, but it would be nice if we had this capability out of the box.
  2. The new job's trigger will process emails and prevent other jobs, which are triggered by email, from being triggered.

Can someone please speak to these problems?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
March 28, 2022 04:48 PM
Accepted Answer

There's not currently a good solution to your point about retrieving old messages. I think in most cases I've seen, people are deleting messages from the mailbox after processing, so there aren't old messages to deal with. I have written up an enhancement request to add an option to only select messages received after the creation of the trigger.

On your second issue, I'd need more details on what behavior you're seeing. The way it should work is: For each trigger adTempus maintains a separate list of what messages that trigger has already processed. When it downloads messages from a mailbox it sends each message to all triggers that are using the same server/account/mailbox that have not already seen the message, so they all get a chance to process it.

Jim G. (7 posts)
March 29, 2022 08:11 AM
Accepted Answer
Bill wrote:
When it downloads messages from a mailbox it sends each message to all triggers that are using the same server/account/mailbox that have not already seen the message, so they all get a chance to process it.

That makes sense.

It seems like the act of downloading all of the messages from the beginning of time creates a bottleneck for all of the jobs that download messages.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
March 29, 2022 08:21 AM
Accepted Answer

Are you using a POP3 or IMAP connection? How many old messages are we talking about? If it's taking a long time for adTempus to work through the backlog, that would delay triggering for all email triggers until it has cleared things out.

Replies are disabled for this topic.