report only prints when "make the job visible on my desktop" is checked

Gina (4 posts)
July 9, 2014 07:08 AM
Accepted Answer

Hello ~ I am in the process of moving jobs in adTempus from one server to another.  Both are Windows Server 2008, the source has adTempus version 3.0.6 and the destination has version 3.0.8.1.  One of the jobs prints a report to a pdf.  This has been working for years as it is, but on the new server it will only print its report if the "make the job visible on my desktop" is checked.  If I run it without this checked, the report doesn't print.  If I run the job by hand (outside of adTempus) it works as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gina

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 9, 2014 10:03 AM
Accepted Answer
Do you have the job configured to run using your User Account, or a different one? If the job is running under a different account, log in to the computer under that account and try running the report--make sure the printer is set up correctly under that account, etc.
Gina (4 posts)
July 9, 2014 12:16 PM
Accepted Answer

Thanks for the quick reply!  I have it configured to run under a separate user account on the server.  I logged in as that user and had the same result.  If I check the "make the job visible on my desktop" box, the pdf will be created, if I don't it won't.  Also, I don't receive an error message or any indication that it didn't work.  The file is just not in the specified location at the end of the program.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 10, 2014 07:21 AM
Accepted Answer

Just to confirm: Did you try running the program outside of adTempus while logged in under  the other user account?

In the job settings, what is the User Interaction set to? If it's set to Hidden, try logging in to the computer under the account that the job uses, then change the setting to "User's Session" and run the job without checking "Make the job visible on my desktop". Does that work?

What program is run to produce the PDF? Does it create a PDF directly or print to a PDF driver?

Gina (4 posts)
July 10, 2014 11:43 AM
Accepted Answer

Hi Bill ~ 

I am able to run the program outside of adTempus while logged in under the other user account.

The User Interaction was originally Hidden.  I changed it to User's Session, logged in under the other account, the "make visible" checkbox unchecked, the pdf was created.

I am printing to a PDF driver.

Thanks,

Gina

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 10, 2014 01:28 PM
Accepted Answer

Something about the program or the driver is causing it to not work correctly if the job is not run under an interactive user session.

I don't think there were any changes in adTempus between 3.0.6 and 3.0.8 that would affect this. Is the job configured to run "Hidden" on the old computer? Is it the same version of the program and of the PDF driver?

Since your program is not reporting an error, it's possible the report is being printed but the PDF is ending up somewhere other than what you expect. Please try running the job with "Hidden" mode, while you are logged in under the same account as is used on the job, and without using "Make visible on my desktop". Before you start it, open the print queue for the PDF printer and watch to see if a print job goes through there when the job runs.

After it finishes, do a search of the computer to see if the PDF is ending up somewhere other than where you expect.

Gina (4 posts)
July 18, 2014 09:50 AM
Accepted Answer

The job was running in a user's session in the other environment.  Since printers are assigned at a users level, when the job runs as hidden, it wouldn't have any printers available, would it?  Would adtempus ever be able to print when running a job as Hidden?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 20, 2014 03:05 PM
Accepted Answer

When you run a job with "Hidden" interaction, adTempus still creates a logon session and loads the user profile, so generally printing will work fine. It may be that the way the PDF printer driver works it requires an interactive logon session (either by design or programming oversight), or it may be that there's something adTempus isn't getting quite right that's causing it to fail.

Unfortunately we can't do much without more information from your application or the PDF software--error message, log file, etc. If possible, check with the developer of the PDF software to find out if it works with non-interactive sessions.

Replies are disabled for this topic.