Run a job group

Paul Watson (101 posts)
February 19, 2016 07:04 AM
Accepted Answer

We are running adTempus 4.2.

I am not quite sure how to achieve this process. I think what I want is to be able to start all jobs in a group and have another job which waits for all jobs in the group to be complete. Of course, I do not want to have a fixed list of job names to complete. All of the jobs in the group need to run.

Use case: In the data warehouse there are many dimension tables. If RI is enabled and foreign keys are used to connect with the dimensions, then the dimension tables must be loaded before a fact table can be loaded which references a dimension record. I would like to place all of the dimension table loads into a group. All jobs in this group would be started, perhaps in a queue where the maximum concurrency can be controlled. The fact table loads must wait until all dimensions are loaded.

If a new dimension is created, I would like to be able to add the dimension load job to the group and not have to change a job to start it nor a job to wait for all of the group to complete.

I think I see how a somewhat complex .NET script might do this, but is there some existing way in 4.2 to accomplish something like this?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
February 19, 2016 10:01 AM
Accepted Answer

There is no way to do this currently. We have group-based conditions on the enhancement list for the future.

In the meantime it would be simple to accomplish using scripts: your "start" job would run a script to start all jobs in the group. The dependent jobs would use a Script Condition to run a script to check the state of all the jobs in the group.

If you are interested in pursuing this let me know and I'll put together some code.

Replies are disabled for this topic.