Copying (promoting) a job from DEVL to TEST or PROD

Paul Watson (101 posts)
August 2, 2013 07:19 AM
Accepted Answer

I have been able to duplicate a job in the same group and I have been able to move a job to a new group.

I have a job in the DEVL group which is running well.

I want to copy it to the PROD group in order to place it into production.

The only way I see to do this currently is to 1) duplicate the job in DEVL with a new name, 2) move it to the PROD group, and 3) rename the job back to the original name. Is there a better and/or easier way.

Actually, what I think that I would like to do is to somehow export this job to a file in my project directory so that it will be included in version control. Can I export just this one job then import it to a different group?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
August 2, 2013 02:18 PM
Accepted Answer

You are correct: the only way to duplicate a job into a new group is to duplicate, save, move, and rename.

Exporting and importing will not do what you want in version 3: that will only update the original job. Beginning with version 4 you can tell the importer to create a new copy of the job on import instead of updating the existing job (see Create copies of all jobs option on Advanced Options page of the import wizard). If you combine that with the Import group hierarchy under the following group option you can get what you want.

But all that is more work than duplicate/move/rename, and once you're at version 4 you might want to think about running separate adTempus instances for DEVL and PROD rather than using different groups for them.

Also the new change log/snapshot options may eliminate the need to export the job for version control.

Replies are disabled for this topic.