Message Log Query's Message ID field help

Girish (4 posts)
May 23, 2010 03:03 PM
Accepted Answer

Does anyone know under what circumstances is the message id 267 event recorded/written.  This is message id that shows up in the "message id" field when you run the message log query

This topic has an accepted answer. Jump to it.
J.D. Staff (46 posts)
May 24, 2010 09:05 AM
Accepted Answer
This is an audit message. It should be telling you the name of the job modified and who modified it. It happens any time a job gets edited if you have auditing turned on under Tools--Server Options--General Options.
Girish (4 posts)
May 24, 2010 04:59 PM
Accepted Answer

Thank you for your reply, J.D.  Yes, it does tell me the name of the job that was modified and who modified it.  Along with the job name and user,  I would also like to know the kind of modification made.  I am not looking for the modification itself (pre and post values) but the category.  For example, when a scheduled job fails AdTempus puts the job on hold.  For the job to automatically start at its next scheduled execution time, the failure has to be acknowledged and the job manually released.  I believe that acknowleding the failure is logged with its own message (id #338).  But I don't know if releasing the job is logged under its own message id or is it logged as a modification?  If so, what other categories/class of changes to a job are logged as modifications as well.

Sorry for the long and boring question. 

Thank you, Girish

J.D. Staff (46 posts)
May 25, 2010 01:34 PM
Accepted Answer
This message is logged any time the job is modified by a user (basically any time a user edits the job in the Console and clicks OK to save the job). If you hold or release the job, this also counts as a modification and triggers the same log message. There's no way to tell what kind of change was made, in other words you can't tell if the message came from releasing the job or from making some other change.
Girish (4 posts)
June 1, 2010 01:03 PM
Accepted Answer

Thank you, J.D.  Your reply does confirm my assumption that releasing a job triggers a modification event to be logged and that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you again, Girish

Replies are disabled for this topic.