Server "localhost" is running an incompatible version of adTempus. No connection can be made.

Ken T (33 posts)
June 1, 2015 06:23 PM
Accepted Answer

Bill. Thanks for all your assistance in the past. It's been really helpful. Everything is spot on.

I have a new issue that I think I made by mistake.

I have adTempus 3.0 and 4.1 running side by side. Both default instances worked fine.

adTempus 3.0 was installed here: C:\Program Files\Arcana Development\adTempus

adTempus 4.1 was installed here: C:\Program Files\Arcana Development\adTempus 4

Then I had the requirement to install 4 new instances under the adTempus 4.1 installation. Things seem to be ok, though initially the individual services for the instances weren't starting up. With a reboot, the instance services did fire up.

But when I went back to check my adTempus 3.0 instance, it won't start up. I'm getting this message:

Message Number: 0xC000A419
Message:  Server "localhost" is running an incompatible version of adTempus. No connection can be made.
Additional Information: 0xC000A419
Communications Socket
Server "localhost" is running an incompatible version of adTempus. No connection can be made.
   at ArcanaDevelopment.adTempus.Client.ApplicationClass.Connect(String UserID, String Password)
   at ArcanaDevelopment.adTempus.UI.ServerConnection.ConnectWithThrow(Application adtApp)
   at ArcanaDevelopment.adTempus.UI.ServerConnection.Connect(Application adtApp, Boolean showErrors) (0x0)

Not sure if this has any adverse effect but I noticed the adTempus 4.1 instances appear to be created here: C:\Program Files\Arcana Development\adTempus\instances (the instances folder was created under the adTempus 3.0 folder).

Any recommendations that I can try to bring back my adTempus 3.0 instance?

Thanks.

Ken

Bill Staff (599 posts)
June 2, 2015 07:08 AM
Accepted Answer

That error probably means that the adTempus 3 Console is trying to connect to an adTempus 4 server. This means that one of your new adTempus instances is running using the default adTempus port (3760).

I'm guessing that your problem is as follows: When you installed adTempus 4 you configured it to use a different port so adTempus 3 could continue using the default port. When you created the additional instances, the instance management tool defaults to port 3760, even if you have specified a different port for your existing instance (because the port setting is specific to each instance). If you didn't change those default values, the new instances would have failed to start, because port 3760 was already in use by adTempus 3 (there should have been an error message in the Event Log telling you this).

When you rebooted, the adTempus 4 instances started before the adTempus 3 service so they got port 3760. This would cause adTempus 3 to fail at startup because it can't now use that port (there should also be an error in the Event Log from adTempus 3 telling you this).

To fix this you need to stop the adTempus 4 instances, then run the Instance Management tool and change them to use a different port than adTempus 3 is using. The (re)start adTempus 3 and the adTempus 4 instances.

Ken T (33 posts)
June 2, 2015 10:27 AM
Accepted Answer

Thanks for the solution! 

Using the Instance Management tool, I only see the ability to delete existing instances and the ability to create new instances. I don't see how I can edit an existing instance.

Can I edit a config file somewhere?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
June 2, 2015 02:28 PM
Accepted Answer
Sorry for the bad information--you're right, you cannot change the setting in the Instance Management tool. You need to make the change in the Registry as described here.

Replies are disabled for this topic.