From Test to Production

GuyS (45 posts)
February 16, 2015 05:26 AM
Accepted Answer

Hello World,

We are currently moving from an IBM mainframe to a Micro Focus Windows environment and will use adTempus to schedule jobs to be submitted. We have seperate servers for TEST and Production.

I want to develop our adTempus setup in the Development environment and test it.

Next step is to deploy it from Develop- to several(!) Test environments (on the same server) and next to the Production environment. We are using Team Foundation Server for this purpose.

I was hoping I could do this with Export and Import. The naming convention will be different, so I was hoping  it is possible to use one export and change it during import to meet the expected naming conventions. 

Will this approach work?

Thanks,

Guy Swagten

The Netherlands

Bill Staff (599 posts)
February 16, 2015 07:02 AM
Accepted Answer

This approach should work fine.

If you have several test environments on the same server, you can use multiple adTempus instances to support them all.

When you say "the naming convention will be different," are you referring paths to executables and other files, or to something else? The best way to handle that is to define Job Variables at the server level on each adTempus server for your paths, then use the variables in the jobs instead of hard-coding the paths. That way you don't have to change anything when you move the jobs from one environment to another.

So for example if your Development server has all the programs you are running under the "d:\devprograms" folder, you could define a Variable named "ProgramRoot" and set it to that path. Then in your jobs you would run "%ProgramRoot%\program1\program.exe", etc. On the other servers you would set that variable to the appropriate path for that environment.

The key is to set the Variables at the Server level so that they're not affected when you import the jobs from one environment to another.

We don't recommend that you try to modify data in the export file. If there are things that you need to have change between environments that you can't accomplish using Job Variables, let me know so we can help you find the best solution.

Right now the only way to do export/import is manually, through the Console. We have it on the to-do list to create a command-line tool so the process can be automated for deployment scenarios like yours. Let me know if that's something you're interested in pursuing.

Replies are disabled for this topic.