adTempus MSDE ODBC data source - SQL driver version?

smp (34 posts)
April 29, 2009 08:28 AM
Accepted Answer

Let's say I have adTempus installed on a Windows 2003 Server, and that I want to create an ODBC data source for the adTempus MSDE database. Windows 2003 Server has a "SQL Server" ODBC driver, version 2000.86.2959.00, built in. Let's say for unrelated reasons, I also have the "SQL Native Client" ODBC driver, version 2005.90.3042.00, installed as well.

I was able to successfully create a data source and pull data using both driver versions. However can someone explain which driver version is most appropriate to use, and why? What are the risks involved with using one version versus another?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
May 1, 2009 02:58 PM
Accepted Answer

Both drivers will return the same data. For your purposes it probably doesn't matter which one you use.

If you are going to be deploying your script/app on another machine, it's possible that that machine won't have the native client, but that wouldn't matter--you would just define the alias on that machine using whatever SQL Server driver is there.

However, I think people generally avoid using ODBC these days in favor of OLEDB or ADO, which doesn't involve the extra step of setting up the alias.

But again, for what you are doing, it doesn't really matter.

Replies are disabled for this topic.