Project passes parameter in first output group to all output groups when run together

jb_bryant (23 posts)
May 26, 2022 08:45 AM
Accepted Answer

I combined 3 different projects into one because they all used the same report before with different variables. Each output group has an Excel output. When I run the project as a whole, from either command line, or from the top of the project editor, it passes the parameter value from the first output group to all 3 output groups, so the exported Excel files end up being identical other than the file name. If I run each Excel output individually from within the project, all 3 files end up correct.

This looks like a bug related to multiple output groups.

Any ideas? I am on the latest build - 1.7. The same happened in 1.6 as well.

This topic has an accepted answer. Jump to it.
Bill Staff (599 posts)
May 26, 2022 10:32 AM
Accepted Answer

I was not able to reproduce this problem--all the outputs used the correct parameters. There must be something different about your project setup than what I am doing.

When you run the project from within the Project Editor, click the Debug button in the message window after the export is complete so that Debug messages are shown. There will be a messages showing what the parameter is being set to for each output group. Is it showing the correct values?

jb_bryant (23 posts)
June 6, 2022 08:47 AM
Accepted Answer
It actually looks like it's only setting the parameter value once before processing the groups and then is just using that in all 3. See attached.

Attachments

• 2022-06-06_10-45-40.png (92.6kb) (pending moderator review)
jb_bryant (23 posts)
June 6, 2022 08:49 AM
Accepted Answer
And attached is showing the parameter that should be passed for the 405 group.

Attachments

• 2022-06-06_10-46-30.png (93.5kb) (pending moderator review)
Bill Staff (599 posts)
June 6, 2022 09:15 AM
Accepted Answer

If you look down the log to where it's processing the next output group, there's a message "Skipping parameters because saved data will be exported." When you have multiple output groups, Report Commander only loads the report once and then reuses it for each group. In this case when it gets to the second group it's seeing that there's already data in the report, so it doesn't set the parameters. This isn't meant to work this way--it should only be skipping data if the data was saved in the report file.

This didn't happen to me in my tests because I had the "Force refresh of data when printing or exporting" option checked on the General page of the report properties. If you check that it should work correctly for you.

I have written this up to be fixed