adTempus - Script Compilation Error

OuzzoMan (1 post)
January 24, 2024 12:30 PM
Accepted Answer

I am using the 4.7 version of adTempus and occasionally encounter the "Script Compilation Error related to permissions. 

- Specific Error Message: Script compilation error: Permission denied: 'CreateObject' (70) (Line 48, Column 0) [ADT005066E]

I have multiple jobs calling a vb script file and the scripts is built to open an Excel Instance of a file, refresh the file and then saved it in the current location (shared Drive path) and then in another Shared folder path/location. The path location is coded in UNC or DNS fully qualified path. The jobs run fine on some days, but then fail on some other days. The failure time is not consistent, and I haven't been able to figure out why the occasional success and failure when nothing has changed. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
January 24, 2024 05:43 PM
Accepted Answer

Problems running Excel from adTempus are common, because Excel is not designed to be used this way. However, I don't think we've had previous cases where CreateObject failed.

Take a look at this article and try configuring the jobs to run with user interaction required (the user whose account the job runs under will need to be logged in). See if that resolves the problem. If it's currently set to "Interactive if available," is the user always logged in? If not it could be failing on runs where the required user is not logged in (because in that case adTempus goes ahead and runs the job non-interactively, which is what causes problems for Excel).

Other than that, are you running multiple jobs at the same time that use Excel? If so, does the problem happen more often when multiple jobs are running?

Have any Office updates been installed recently? If so it's possible that an update to Excel has caused the problem to start happening. We have seen a similar issue recently, but a slightly different failure (see this article).