Issues opening Report Commander after upgrading to Crystal 2016 SP5

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 26, 2018 09:48 AM
Accepted Answer

We're getting this error after upgrading to Crystal Reports 2016 SP5 for Business One. Is this a version mismatch that isn't supported yet or something?

"Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

This topic has an accepted answer. Jump to it.
Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 26, 2018 01:43 PM
Accepted Answer
We are looking into this and will provide an update shortly.
Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 26, 2018 03:09 PM
Accepted Answer

I tried installing Crystal Reports 2016 SP5 and it did not cause any problems with Report Commander. I'm not able to install Business One to see if that's the issue. Perhaps Business One is installing an older version of the Crystal Reports runtime; that would break Report Commander.

The quick solution is to uninstall and reinstall Report Commander, then make sure that doesn't break your Crystal Reports or Business One installation.

Otherwise:

Look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\dotnet". If CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll that's there, what's the file version?

If it's not there, look in "C:\Windows\assembly". What version is there?

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 26, 2018 03:19 PM
Accepted Answer

Reinstalling Report Commander won't help. We've already tried that. I was also able to reproduce on another machine with Business One 9.3 and Crystal 2016 SP5 installed.

I actually don't see the Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0 folder. Only SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 26, 2018 03:34 PM
Accepted Answer
Please save the attached "projecteditor.txt" to the Report Commander program folder and rename it to "ProjectEditor.exe.config". Then start the Project Editor and see if it works. This should tell it to use the newer version of the runtime that's installed--though that should already be happening automatically, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Attachments

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 26, 2018 03:45 PM
Accepted Answer

Thanks. That fixed it :-)

I will save that file in case I need it again. Do you think this will be included in a future build?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 26, 2018 04:03 PM
Accepted Answer

You'll need to copy the file to "projectrunner.exe.config", "adcrutil.exe.config", and "commandlinebuilder.exe.config" as well; otherwise those programs will have the same problem.

The issue here is that either Crystal Reports or Business One installed a newer version of the Crystal Reports runtime than what Report Commander is expecting. Because of the way the runtime pieces fit together it may not be possible for us to deal with the problem other than through the config files, which we can't push out to everyone because we can't know what version of the runtime any user will have. We will be looking into this further though.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 26, 2018 06:07 PM
Accepted Answer
Bill wrote:
You'll need to copy the file to "projectrunner.exe.config", "adcrutil.exe.config", and "commandlinebuilder.exe.config" as well; otherwise those programs will have the same problem.

Make that "adrcexec.exe.config", not "projectrunner.exe.config".

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 27, 2018 07:36 AM
Accepted Answer

I made all of the above changes but I still get this when trying to run the report:

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 27, 2018 07:39 AM
Accepted Answer

I also tried reloading the report within the project and got this:

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 27, 2018 07:47 AM
Accepted Answer

Another weird thing is the preview button is missing from the output group properties screen:

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 27, 2018 09:39 AM
Accepted Answer

The Preview button is missing because the Project Editor detected that Crystal Reports isn't available to run the report (due to the other problems).

We're going to have to do some more research on how to resolve the version mismatch issues.

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 27, 2018 09:48 AM
Accepted Answer
Please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. What version(s) of the SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine are listed? 32-bit or 64-bit?
jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 27, 2018 10:31 AM
Accepted Answer

32-bit:

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 27, 2018 10:58 AM
Accepted Answer

I've installed the same CR runtime version that you had (13.0.22) and reproduced your original problem. On my test computer the updated config files solved the problem and allowed the export to work.

(Actually the config file needed one change to make the Preview work within the Project Editor--new version is attached.)

The error message you're getting now indicates that there's a problem with the runtime component installation, so let's try reinstalling that: uninstall "SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine", then download the installer here and reinstall it.

Attachments

jb_bryant (23 posts)
July 27, 2018 11:23 AM
Accepted Answer
I replaced the file but the preview button was still missing, but after reinstalling the runtime it seems to be working now. Thanks so much for all your help!
Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 27, 2018 03:00 PM
Accepted Answer
The solution is now documented in Knowledge Base article K00000572, which has a download with all the necessary configuration files.

Replies are disabled for this topic.