Finding variable settings

Paul Watson (101 posts)
July 28, 2016 01:51 PM
Accepted Answer

I frequently want to search a group of jobs to see which ones might have set new values for variables that would have been inherited. This ability to override the variable value is good and I do not want to stop it. However, I would like to be able to easily identify where it happens.

Using the current Tools > Find and Replace... gives a list of all objects that contain the text. Is there a way to limit it to variable settings?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 28, 2016 04:35 PM
Accepted Answer

There is a hidden filtering capability that will let you do this. I'm not sure why it's hidden--maybe we just forgot to turn it on.

To expose it, hold down the Shift key while you select Find and Replace on the Tools menu. The Search For page of the find window should now have a Filter Fields box. In that box, enter

JobVariable.Name

and then do the rest of the search as normal. This will search only the names of job variables and ignore everything else.

Paul Watson (101 posts)
July 28, 2016 07:28 PM
Accepted Answer

I am not quite getting it yet, Bill. I am putting "JobVariable.PHS_DB_PHASE" into the "Filter Fields" textbox. If I do not put anything into the "Search For:" edit control, choosing the "Find" button flashes up something, but does not appear to do anything.

If I add "PHS_DB_PHASE" to the "Search For:" edit control, using "Find" does appear to go away for a while looking for something, but eventually reports that nothing is found.

If I delete the contents of the "Filter Fields" textbox, "Find" reports all occurrences as usual.

What am I missing?

Bill Staff (599 posts)
July 28, 2016 07:51 PM
Accepted Answer

For Filter Fields you need "JobVariable.Name" exactly like that (but without quotes). Don't replace "Name" with the name of your variable. In Search For, put in "PHS_DB_PHASE". You are telling it to search for "PHS_DB_PHASE" in the Name field of JobVariable objects.

Paul Watson (101 posts)
July 28, 2016 09:22 PM
Accepted Answer

Got it, Bill. Thanks.

Would it make sense to have a listbox of "Fields" from which to "Add" to the "Filter Fields" text box? That would eliminate free-form typing like I was doing.

Replies are disabled for this topic.